About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, August 26, 2013

First Day in Math Class

We hit the ground running in math today!  I introduced my students to our warm up page.  Basically, we do a review of hot topics to begin our math class.  Today we reviewed decimals, equivalent decimals, fractions, and equivalent fractions.

We then used our 5th Grade Mathematics Chart to help us find the perimeter of a rectangle.  The kids were surprised to learn that by solving the formula for perimeter:

P = (2 x L) + (2 x W)

they were solving an algebraic equation!  

We also began working in our math journal.  This journal is used to take notes and show examples when we have new learning.  Today we discussed number lines, positive integers, and negative integers.  Finally, we located our decimal from the warm up on a number line.  

Typically, I take pictures of the pages we do in class to help parents understand the learning that has taken place.  However, today was a little too hectic and fast paced.... in other words.... I completely forgot!  I will try to do better tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment