About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, September 9, 2013

How Many Dollars in a Ton?

So, this summer, while watching more television than was good for me, I noticed the Esurance commercial about saving a ton of dollars (see video:  Esurance Commerical).  A mathematical question occurred to me... just how many dollars ARE in a ton?  This is the question we investigated in math today.


We began by watching the video and I posed the day's question.  Then I asked the all important question:  How much does a dollar weigh?.  To answer this.... we googled it.  We discovered that all forms of paper currency weigh 1 gram.  

One Gram

 So then, I asked the kids just how many grams are in a ton?  After looking at our 5th Grade Mathematics Chart (aka "BOB"), we found that grams are a metric measurement and tons are a customary measurement.  They don't seem to go together...  What to do?  Google it!  We learned that 1 pound = 453.592 grams!  I was most excited... here, in the "real" world, we had found an example of decimals to the thousandths!  The kids were not as impressed... 

 I also took a minute to discuss the number 453.592.  I wanted them to realize that although the number 453.592 looks like a large number, when you place the word gram with it, you are talking about 1 pound, which is not a heavy weight.  It is very important for students to look at labels and think about their meaning, instead of looking at the number only and making an assumption.  I explained that the 453 is the number of dollars in a pound and the .592 is the weight towards the next dollar.  We could round our information to say that 1 pound = $454.

One Pound

Next, we used "BOB" to determine how many pounds are in a ton (2000).  We used calculators to multiply 453.592 and 2000.  Thereby discovering that there are $907,184 dollars in a ton!  
One Ton
Using this information, we reviewed what we did in class last week.  Each student chose a digit, named its period, its place, and its value.  They wrote the answer to our question (How many dollars in a ton?) in both word and expanded form. Then, I asked them to round the number to the nearest hundred.  

To finish off our day, I had them work with four whole number place value problems.  These were turned in for a grade.

The homework tonight is:


No comments:

Post a Comment