About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Halloween Coordinate Graphing


My how time flies!  It is the end of the first six weeks!

I decided to have the kids review a fun topic... coordinate graphing. Right now we are only using a Quadrant 1 grid (whole numbers only), so our paper looked something like:


On a coordinate plane, just like on a graph, the lines have meaning:

  • The point of origin (where you ALWAYS begin) is 0.
  • The line going across the bottom is the X axis.  This is the first coordinate in a set of coordinates.
  • The line going up is the Y axis.  This is the second coordinate in the set.

I gave the kids a set of instructions that was basically a page of coordinates.  Their first coordinate was (1, 13).  So, you go ACROSS the x axis to 1, then UP the y axis to 13 and place a dot where they intersect.  You continue placing the dots (connecting them as you go), and when you are finished, you have a picture.



I will not post Monday or Tuesday as we will be at The Outdoor School!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment