About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Long Division (Robotic Parts)

Long division.... one of a 5th grader's biggest nightmares (right up there with fractions)!  I attempted to make the idea easier by requiring the classes to estimate their answer to the division problem BEFORE working with the algorithm.

The process is involved, but the outcome was encouraging.  To see how to estimate a 3 digit by 2 digit division problem and use this estimation to help solve the actual division problem, please watch my video by going to: Robotic Parts (Long Division)

Today was just the beginning of our time with long division.  My goal is to take away my kid's fear of long division!

HOMEWORK:  xtramath.org


No comments:

Post a Comment