About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Math Benchmark



My students took a math benchmark today.  This benchmark was the released STAAR test that my 5th graders took last year.  I give benchmarks for a number of reasons:

  1. Benchmarks allow me to see where my students are strong and any area of weaknesses that I need to address.
  2. I am able to use the data to determine any intervention that needs to take place in small group settings and at a more individualized level.
  3. The kids are able to see the types of questions they will have to answer in April (50 questions that must be completed in 4 hours).
This is the first benchmark I will do over the next few weeks.  We will also be taking:
  • Study Island Benchmark - Students were given this exact assessment at the beginning of the year.  I am looking for growth.
  • Star Math (not to be confused with STAAR) - Students took this at the end of 4th grade.  I am looking for growth.
  • MStar (algebra readiness) - Students were introduced to this assessment in September.  We will take the second installment in January and a third installment in May.  I am looking for growth in their algebra readiness in preparation for Junior High.

HOMEWORK:  Countdown p. 6


No comments:

Post a Comment