About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Comparing Fraction Coordinate Graphing


To begin our math class today, I actually began with a critical writing assignment.  We have been working with changing mixed numbers to improper fractions and improper fractions to mixed numbers and I wanted a little feedback about their thinking.  I asked them to use their notes on page 19 of their journal to assist them in their writing and I posted the prompt:

Which do you prefer, changing improper fractions to mixed numbers or mixed numbers into improper fractions?  Justify your reasoning.

Next, I felt like we needed a little review of two concepts:  comparing two fractions and coordinate graphing.  So I found a worksheet that allows us to practice both.  It is from a book called, "Great Graph Art:  Decimals and Fractions" by Cindi Mitchell.


The worksheet requires the students to create ordered pairs to be graphed.  The x-coordinate is given, but the y-coordinate must be determined by finding the larger fraction and using its numerator.  I allowed the students to practice comparing two fractions using cross multiplication and I also allowed them to use a calculator (this made them very happy!).


We will use these coordinates tomorrow to create a coordinate graphing picture.

HOMEWORK:  Countdown 3.3


No comments:

Post a Comment