About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Decimals to Fractions

Our goal today was that the student would be able to use models to relate decimals to fractions that name tenths, hundredths, and thousandths.


I gave them a copy of a worksheet I have from The Mailbox magazine titled "Your Order's On the Way!".  I had modified the worksheet so that students would name the decimal, rename the decimal to its fraction, and then simplify the fraction if possible.

We have been working with this concept since the first day of school.  Each day we fill in a square on our hundredths chart.  We name the decimal (today was .84), then we name its equivalent fraction (84/100), then we find the factors of the numerator (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, 14, 21, 28, 42, 84) using a t-chart and divisibility rules.  We have keep a list of the factors of 100 since the first day of school and use it daily, so we did not need to find the factors of our denomintaor today.  Once we have the factors of our numerator and denominator, we find the Greatest Common Factor.  We use the GCF to divide the numerator and denominator into the fraction's simplest form.



Today, I was able to show my students how to apply the knowledge we have been acquiring!  I required my students to simplify the fraction on the worksheet, using the GCF of the numerator and denominator.  The beauty of it.... we have all of the factors of EVERY number from 1-83 and 100 in our green folder.  They only needed to use their resources to find the factors they needed to use to simplify!  To see a demonstration of today's lesson, please watch the video:  Decimals to Fractions.

HOMEWORK:  Countdown 2.6

No comments:

Post a Comment