About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions

We worked with Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions today.  We began by taking notes and making a foldable for our math journals.

First, we focused on Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions.  To see our notes, please go to:  Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions.  

I had found a visual on Mixed Numbers from The Mailbox Magazine:


I liked this little bit of help!  Anything that I can use to help my students remember the steps makes me happy!  In fact, I explained that changing a mixed number into an improper fraction was also like doing a somersault (you move your way around the fraction).

When we turned to improper fractions to mixed numbers, we did not have a fun little helper.   This time, I explained that this set of steps is more like a backflip (you flip from the denominator up into the numerator:  divide).

Once we had taken our notes, we used a "cootie catcher" which I found on Teachers Pay Teachers to practice changing mixed to improper and improper to mixed.  The download is from Runde's Room (one of my favorite blogs to follow).  I gave the students a second "cootie catcher" to use at home.  If you need help in figuring out how to fold it, watch this video:  Cootie Catcher - How To.

We will continue to practice our new skills tomorrow.

HOMEWORK:  Countdown 3.1

No comments:

Post a Comment