About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Angles



Yesterday, my classes worked with the universal symbols that are used in geometry.  During that activity, they proved their understanding on acute, obtuse, and right angles.  Therefore, I decided to use our time today applying our knowledge of angles, instead of taking notes that are unnecessary.


I gave the students an activity from the AIMS Education Foundation called "Flight Paths."  Basically, students use a ruler to connect three cities and form an angle.  Once the angle was formed, I demonstrated using an index card to determine whether the angle was acute, obtuse, or a right angle.  You can watch this demonstration on my video:  Angles.



I did not ask the students to find the exact measurement of each angle, this is not a 5th grade TEK.  Instead, I asked them to label the angle <90 degrees, >90 degrees, or 90 degrees.

The kids really enjoyed this activity!  There was not a moment off task!  The most challenging part of the activity was finding the cities on the map.  I like when they can see how math intermingles with other content areas!


No comments:

Post a Comment