About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Reasonable Predictions

A prediction is a reasonable guess of what you think will happen.  A reasonable prediction is based upon data.  For example:



I could make the prediction that Shawn will make 3 more free throws in the next 21 attempts.  To prove that my prediction is reasonable, I would first need to total the number of free throws made (35) and create my fraction of free throws for Shawn as 5/35.  Now, if Shawn is going to make 21 more throws, I would need to simplify my fraction to get a denominator that would be easier to work with.  5/35 simplified is 1/7.  Now, make an equivalent fraction.  My denominator becomes 21 by multiplying 7 x 3.  Therefore my numerator is multiplied by 3 (1 x 3 = 3).  So, my reasonable prediction would be 3 more free throws.


In class, we used tiles to make predictions.  To see how we made reasonable predictions,  found theoretical probability, and experimental probability using tiles, please watch my video:  Reasonable Predictions.  After taking the notes, we actually worked with a few problems to make our predictions.

These types of problems will be on the STAAR test on April 1.  
HOMEWORK:  Countdown 4.1



No comments:

Post a Comment