About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Rechenka's Eggs


Every year around Easter, for the past 10 years, I have introduced my students to Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco through the Reading Rainbow DVD.  I use the DVD so that the students can watch the author, Patricia Polacco, demonstrate the Ukrainian art of dying eggs called Pysanky.

After I have shown the DVD and my students are pumped about this type of egg decorating.... I have to disappoint them by telling them that we cannot do a pysanky in class... it involves working with open flame!  I explain that I am going to give them websites they can visit to get the supplies for creating a pysanky egg of their own, but we will be doing a paper version.

I take some time showing my classes the pysanky eggs that my daughters and I have done over the years.  These are from last Easter.




10 years of Pysanky

I also showed them the Ukrainian website that showcases HUGE pysanky eggs in a parade



I know that many of my students are very interested in trying this type of art, so I gave them three very helpful websites:

  • www.allthingsukrainian.com (kits)
  • www.learnpysanky.com (ideas)
  • www.beverlysgoosehatchery.com (goose eggs)
We will begin our paper version on Monday!







No comments:

Post a Comment