About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Toilet Talk


Our topic yesterday was handshakes.  Today our topic was toilet paper!  Once again, I found the activity "Toilet Talk" on the Hungry Teacher website.  I knew that anything involving toilet paper would interested my kids!

There are three sections to the lesson from Hungry Teacher.  We focused on the "beginner" lesson today.  We found:

  • the length and width (dimensions) of a square of toilet paper
  • the area and perimeter of a square of toilet paper
  • the length of a roll of toilet paper in inches, feet, and yards
  • the total area of a roll of toilet paper
  • the diameter and radius of a roll of toilet paper
  • about how many pounds of toilet paper one tree produces
  • and the percentage of people in the world who do not have a toilet

To finish the lesson, I had the kids complete a 3-2-1 exit ticket.

3 things I learned
2 things I thought were interesting
1 thing that surprised me


We will continue our Toilet Talk tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment