About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Addition and Subtraction Review


After giving students an entrance ticket all week and monitoring their addition and subtraction skills, I decided it was time for review.  We completed a problem-solving page that required the students to add or subtract across large numbers.  



I insisted that students solve two problems at a time then let me check their work.  This is done so that I can catch issues quickly and give immediate feedback.  If a student had an incorrect answer, we were able to pinpoint the issue.  

  • Sometimes they read the problem incorrectly which led to using an incorrect number.
  • Sometimes digits were written out of order when the problem was written on the grid paper.
  • Sometimes there was a single digit that was incorrect.  
By seeing the mistake instantly, usually the mistake was not repeated!


I also asked the students to solve an addition problem using estimation.  One they completed the problem, I asked them to explain how they solved the problem.  I reminded them that good mathematicians "plan how to organize a solution," (Build a Better Math Response) so they needed to explain every step in words.  This is still a work in progress, but these were MUCH better than our first time out!  


We have a three day weekend to help us 
recover from a full first week of school!





No comments:

Post a Comment