About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Division Array


We have worked with long division for a few days now.  I have focused on estimating the answer to the division problem and using the standard algorithm to solve the division problem.

Today, I introduced a new way to look at division.... using a division array.  I want my classes to see this strategy so that if an example shows up on their STAAR test at the end of the year, they will understand what they are seeing.  Below are two videos of how a division array works.



I then assigned 6 word problems.   I wanted my students to use the standard algorithm since the new strategy is so new.  I gave the classes 30 minutes to work on the problems with help from me.  However, any work not finished becomes homework tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment