About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Multiplication Mania!


We began working with multiplication today.  The next few days will be multiplying 3-digit by 2-digit numbers.  I am very happy with the formative assessments (entrance tickets) that I have given over the past few days.  Many of my students have this concept mastered, so we will be able to differentiate our learning.  I will have a group that will be working on mastering this concept in Content Mastery and the second group will be given a challenge!  I can't wait!

Today we added to our journal.  We began a Multiplication Word Web:


Then I had them attach a Multiplication Table into their journal:


Finally, we worked on Multiple Ways to Multiply.  We began by working with the standard algorithm (the way you learned), then we worked through a multiplication array.  This was used last year, and is required this year as well.  Basically it is using the distributive property of division to help students understand the standard algorithm.  We will be working with these concepts over the next few days.


If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me!




No comments:

Post a Comment