About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Balancing a Financial Record Computer Simulation


We continued working with our new knowledge of balancing a financial record today.  We got out the Chromebooks, went to my blog (tdittrich.blogspot.com), found the box labeled "Kidblog" and followed the classroom link.


I asked the classes to complete the following sentence starter as a new post on their kidblog account:

Based on the information I have learned, 
I conclude that keeping accurate financial records is important because ...

This was our first attempt to blog this year, but my goal is to have students share their thinking using this format pretty regularly.  If you would like to view your child's post (these will be available tomorrow) please visit their kidblog account.  The accounts are by homeroom (just follow the link):





Next, I had the classes go to their Gmail, find the email I had sent them, open the link:  themint.org/teens/balance-your-checking-account.html , and balance an account using a simulation.  The simulation asks students to document 10 transactions (deposits and withdrawals).  If they calculated correctly, their balance should equal the balance given at the end of the simulation.  This was a challenge!!!



Finally, I asked the students to complete a math page from the textbook.  The assignment is 17.5 "Keeping Records" on page 645.  Yes, they may use a calculator.




No comments:

Post a Comment