About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Order of Operations (PEMDAS) with Addition and Subtraction of Decimals


Today was another "show what you know" kind of day!  We have a decimal test tomorrow, so we are in review mode.  Today we revisited PEMDAS and simplified numeric expressions using addition and subtraction of decimals.


In order to practice PEMDAS with addition and subtraction of decimals, I had to create some numeric expressions specifically for the topic.  To review with my classes we simplified one together.  To view the instructions to today's activity, please watch:  PEMDAS with Addition and Subtraction of Decimals.


The sixth, and final, problem I asked the students to solve, had a writing component.  I asked them to tell me the first step to solving the expression, explain their reasoning, and then simplify the expression.








No comments:

Post a Comment