About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Measurement: Length (Customary and Metric)


Our focus today was working with converting length measurements.  We work with both Customary and Metric units.  In an effort to make this topic engaging, I created a Kahoot for the classes to play.  I used word problems from two books that included factoids that I thought the kids would enjoy:



I also decided to have the classes work in table groups.  I felt it was important for there to be student interaction as they worked on solving problems.   This would allow to hear and see how problems, involving converting length measurements,  could be solved.


We also needed to post our Week 2 Global Blogging Challenge stories today.  We worked on copy and pasting both the picture and the story that the students had written on a Google Doc into our blog.  By using the Google Doc to type their story, students had their first round of spell check.  Any words that are misspelled are underlined in red, giving students the opportunity to edit their work.

Then, when we posted to the blog, our grammar checker kicked in.  We use an extension called "Ginger".  The program looks over their writing and highlights both spelling errors and grammar errors.  I like this because it shows students where commas are needed, or where the punctuation is incorrect, and it even gives phrasing options.  I think this will be a powerful tool as we continue to use our Chromebooks during writing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment