About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Geometric Sewing (and a little Social Studies)

We began class with Social Studies.  We read about World War II and then I asked them to complete a Google Doc that analyzes the war.  The answers to the Doc could all be found in today's reading.


We will complete the Doc tomorrow.

We moved into math by playing a Kahoot with our Countdown to STAAR.  It's funny, they all seem to believe that since we have finished our testing they NO LONGER KNOW HOW to do any math...


I had to remind them that we do have 5 additional weeks of school, and, as their math teacher, I will be assigning math problems!

However, there is a silver lining....  Geometric Sewing!




Every year after taking our Math STAAR test, I like to give the kids a little mathematical art therapy!  I begin with the Kaleidoscopic Octagon, which emphasizes rotational and reflectional symmetry.  Then, I move into geometric sewing.  Basically, this is line design with string.  

Line designs are geometric patterns formed 
entirely by the use of straight line segments that 
produce the illusion of a curve. 

We did not get very far today.   We spent the few remaining minutes of math class preparing our sewing surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment