About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Hands on Equations (Day 2)


Our second day to work with algebra and WOW!  I am not getting any kind of payment, but I highly recommend Hands-On Equation to introduce algebra painlessly!  Day 1 was all about placing pawns and cubes on the scale and determining the value of the pawn.  By the end of the class we were calling the pawn "x".

Today I reviewed our learning from Tuesday, including reemphasizing that the scale is just a visual to remind us that both sides must be equivalent because the scale must ALWAYS balance.  We moved into exploring placing equations visually on the scale and then solving for "x".  For example:
2x + x = x + 8


I explained that when a number and the variable are touching, this means to multiply (2x) and that the student should place that number of pawns on the scale touching one another.  I also explained that a number standing alone in the equation was represented by a cube.  Then I handed each child a sheet of equations and let them go.  WOW!  


My classes were solving equations like 4x + 2 = 3x + 9 without even batting an eyelash!  Unbelieveable!  

To view the lesson, please go to:  

No comments:

Post a Comment