About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Hands on Equations (Lesson 3)


We worked on Day 3 of the Hand-on Equations.  Today's focus was teaching the Subtraction Property of Equality.  Basically, you set up the equation and remove pawns from both sides of the equation allowing the scale to remain "balanced".  Once this removal has occurred, one side of the equation is usually a number.  This allows solving for the variable "x" to be much easier to determine. 

For a better explanation, please watch the video, "Hand-On Equations Day 3," I made for my students who were absent today.  I think you will get a much clearer understanding of the process watching the video vs trying to make sense of pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment