About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ian's Job (Day 2)


We finished working with Ian's Job today.  We focused on the amount of money Ian's job was paying him to cover expenses for his travel to and from work.


Since we were dealing with LOOOONNG division, I felt we needed a little more guidance today.  I began by reminding them of the mnemonic device for division:


I added a few extra steps:  Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Check, Bring Down, REPEAT or REMAINDER.  Then we used grid paper and an index card to help us break the problem into even smaller steps.

After reviewing long division, we finished up Ian's Job, completed a Countdown to STAAR review, and then students got on to Khan Academy to work through the LOOOOONG division activities and videos.  More practice tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment