About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Personal Financial Literacy: Budgets


We began our Personal Financial Literacy unit today.  I  found a Project-Based Learning activity on Teachers Pay Teachers that I am excited about using:


Basically, we began our project by discussing budgets. We talked about the need for a budget and the importance of a balanced budget.  We talked about budgeting for needs vs wants

 I also had the kids create a budget spreadsheet on a Google Doc.  I decided that teaching them some of the tricks in a Google Doc is easier than introducing them to Sheets right now.  Maybe later this year.  Since my additional focus will be adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimals, I did not want to show students how to use a formula in Sheets just yet.

The homework was to decide on a career that they are interested in having as an adult.  We will use this information tomorrow.

We finished our day by answering the prompt:

What conclusions can you draw about the importance of keeping a budget and maintaining a balanced budget?

After finishing the prompt, students worked on completing a Countdown to STAAR. If they had time, they began researching career ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment