About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using Models


Today we began our journey into fractions.... usually not a favorite of my 5th graders.  My TEK requires that my students understand the addition of fractions using models.  We began with 

1/2 + 1/4


We drew a rectangles showing one half with the rectangle broken into two pieces vertically and a rectangle broken into fourths horizontally.


Next, we recreated these same two rectangles with their fractions, however, this time, the first rectangle (1/2) was now broken into fourths horizontally and the second rectangle (1/4) was broken into halves vertically.


We had drawn models to prove that 1/2 is equivalent to 4/8 and 1/4 is equivalent to 2/8.  Now that we had common denominators, we could complete the problem.


To finish up, we had to determine the fraction's simplest form.  We decided that since both the numerator and denominator were even numbers, we could divide both by 2 to simplify our fraction.

We completed this process a few more times together and then the table groups worked together to solve a few more.  I was pleased to see that my students were able to apply their new learning on the Countdown to STAAR that we completed today and they were successful!



No comments:

Post a Comment