About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators using Models (Continued)


I opened class today with a "Which One Doesn't Belong" creative thinking activity.  There are multiple answers and students must explain their reasoning.  For example:

The top left domino doesn't belong because
  • It is the only double.
  • It is the only one that can be a spinner in dominoes
  • It is the only one that is a composite number when you add the dots.
  • It is the only one with an even answer if you add all the dots.
The top right domino doesn't belong because
  • It is the only one with a two digit sum when you add the dots.
  • It is the only one that is an improper fraction.
The kids love this activity and always surprise me with the number of different answers they are able to come up with!

We also spent time completing an estimation180 activity.  This opening activity is always a favorite.  I love hearing all of the "math talk" that ensues as students try to come to a reasonable estimation.  This is also a class favorite.

Next, I had my students complete "My Favorite No".  This is an activity I found on YouTube.  Students are presented with a problem, I choose one that is incorrect, project it and explain the part of the problem that makes it incorrect, while celebrating all parts of the problem that are correct.  I include a technology component as we use Go Formative to solve the problems.  Basically, I put the problem on this site and watch LIVE as my students solve the problem.  They are also able to explain their thinking by typing on the problem.  I then take a screenshot of the problem I would like to use, and we look at "my favorite no" together.

The rest of class was a continuation from yesterday.  We spent time working with models as we added fractions with unlike denominators.  I think the kids' favorite part is writing on their desks with dry erase markers!


I have noticed that they are much more confident working with fractions than they have ever been before!

No comments:

Post a Comment