About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Lemonade Stand: Cost Analysis


Our focus today was on determining how much a cup of lemonade and a cup of limeade would cost us to make per day.  My students then determined how much money they would charge per glass of lemonade and glass of limeade in order to make a profit.  We did discuss the need for a reasonable cost and thinking about your customers and what they would be willing to spend.

I did have students on different phases of this project, which I like.  I think it is important to have activities in which students are working through the process at their own pace.  It gives them a feeling of empowerment, knowing that they understand the work and do not have to wait on others.  There did not seem to be any underlying current of needing to hurry and finish.  In fact, my kids were anxious to begin each day and very much enjoyed working on the project each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment