About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Snowflake Diamonte


Today we cut out paper snowflakes!  We began by reading/looking at a pop-up book called "Snowflakes" by Jennifer Preston Chushcoff.


Then we watched a short Khan Academy video called "Snowflakes, Starflakes, and Swirlflakes."  This is a fun video to watch as all kinds of paper cutting reveals all kinds of snowflakes.  Fair warning, hang on to your seat!

Next, each student was given a template to use.  I found the templates at http://www.daves-snowflakes.com/patterns.html  Each template began as a hexagon, was folded on a line of symmetry to form a trapezoid, was folded to form a rhombus, and finally folded to form an equilateral triangle.  Now, the students cut away the black areas.  Each snowflake was attached to a sheet of black construction paper:


Finally, I asked the kids to create a Diamonte poem about the relationship between snowflakes and geometry.  A little disclaimer.... we had a very difficult time thinking of participles (words ending in -ing) for geometry.  I challenged my students to complete the Diamonte with participles for Geometry, if they could.  However, I allowed them to use attributes of geometric shapes instead:


Before leaving, I took a photo of each student with their snowflake.  I will send the picture to them and tomorrow we will take a screenshot of just the snowflake and post it to our Kidblog site(s) along with their poems.




No comments:

Post a Comment