About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, February 22, 2016

PBL: Perimeter, Area, and Volume with Legos

The set of activities I combined to create my lesson on using Lego bricks to model perimeter, area, and volume are an amalgamation of three lessons I found on the internet.

The first lesson I found came from "Teaching in Room 6" and was called:  Legos + Volume = Awesome!




The second lesson came from a blog titled "The Reflective Educator" and was called:  Lego and Minecraft in Math.


However, it was the final blog that I found while attending TCEA that helped me design a PBL lesson that combined my TEKS with the use of Lego bricks.  The blog is titled "David Lee:  EdTech.org" and the lesson was called:  Minecraft in Education.  



Using these three blogs/lessons, I was able to create a blended learning lesson that I created using Blendspace (www.tes.com).



Today, we focused on the first 4 boxes of the blendspace activity.  Using the information provided, my students found the basic footprint for the home they were to design.  By the end of class they had:

  1. Labeled the x- and y-axis of their grid paper.
  2. Numbered their grids.
  3. Created a scale explaining that 1 square was equivalent to 1 square meter.
  4. They used calculators to find an area for their footprint between 150-250 meters squared.
  5. Drawn the perimeter of the "home".
  6. Labeled the dimensions.
  7. Found and labeled the area.
We did finish off our day with a Countdown to STAAR.


No comments:

Post a Comment