So, time is running out for me to make sure all of my TEKS are covered before our first STAAR math test on March 29. With that in mind, I had to wrap up our project a little sooner than we needed in order to complete it. However, we have floor plans finished and we have Lego brick homes created, most are only missing the roof line. All good to know for planning next year!
Anyway, our focus today was wrapping up our lesson and focusing on the perimeter, area, and volume of the homes the students created.
To begin, we brainstormed a list of math strategies that were used this week as we attempted to meet Mr. Python's specifications and expectations. I wanted to make sure that they realized that this was not just a week of "play" as I am sure many parents were told! This is an example of the ideas that were generated by the students:
Next, we moved into working on a Google Doc that required them to find perimeter, area, total area, volume, and total volume. I allowed them to work together and was tickled every time they realized that the area of each floor would be the same as would the volume.
Finally, I asked them to write about their learning this week. We used the brainstormed list above and the writing prompt:
I also as using a rubric to assess this project. It's nothing special, just a checklist of the things I wanted to see.
So, there is a part of me that is frustrated that this didn't have a chance to go exactly as planned, but the other part is thrilled with the learning that was involved in this PBL. Again, all good to know for next year.