About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock

Today, I asked the kids if they have ever watched The Big Bang Theory and seen Sheldon play Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!  



I asked the kids if they thought that adding the lizard and Spock to the mix would turn a fair game into an unfair game. To determine their answer mathematically,  I asked the kids to:

Evaluate the fairness of this game.
Justify your reasoning.

I asked them to use one of the visual models (t-chart, branching or matrix) to list all possible outcomes of this game.  Then, determine if the game is fair and JUSTIFY (or explain) how they came to this decision.

We finished out the day completing a Countdown to STAAR and then working on passing lessons on Think Through Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment