About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Think Through Math: Introduction


We began our day solving a "Which One Doesn't Belong" as a bell ringer.  I love these challenges because there is more than one answer.... students are allowed to think differently as they work on this activity.  I always allow my classes to work together as table groups to help foster new ideas.

Our lesson frame today:

  • We will learn about our use of Think Through Math this year including keeping a journal of our work, rewards we can earn as we work through the program, and setting goals to ensure our success.
  • I will describe the relationship between having a growth mindset and my success with Think Through Math.
Growth Mindset Math Journal Entry

I began by revisiting mindsets because most students (and parents) enter my room with a FIXED mindset saying "I am not good at math." I want to get rid of this thinking immediately, so we used an interactive journal activity called "Growth Mindset Math Journal Entry" by Jennifer Runde from Runde's Room. This activity allows me to state some fixed mindset beliefs and work with students to change them to growth mindset statements. Before moving on, I asked my classes to talk with their table groups about the importance of reminding ourselves about mindsets before we begin working with something new.

Once we had changed our mindset to growth, I introduced the online math site, Think Through Math. We will be using this as our main instruction in our blended learning classroom. Before everyone's mind shifted back to a fixed mindset, I wanted to explore all of the rewards students can earn and they progress through the program.

On the Think Through Math site, as you work through a lesson you earn points for every correct answer.  On TTM there are multiple ways to spend your points:

      • Avatar customization - individual
      • Classroom goals - team
      • Charities - individual

Besides these online reward incentives, there are a plethora of classroom rewards:

Screenshot 2016-08-29 at 7.49.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2016-08-29 at 7.51.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2016-08-29 at 7.52.38 PM.png

Once we had jumped right back over to a growth mindset while discussing all of the rewards, I asked them to talk as a table group again about their mindset on working with Think Through Math now.  The overwhelming response was excitement.

Finally, we talked about the TTM Journal students would be required to keep.  This was just a quick intro, I will be discussing it in more detail in a few days.

Their exit ticket for the day:
  • Name 3 ways having a growth mindset will help us succeed when working on Think Through Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment