About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using Models

Lesson Frame


  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will solve problems on a Fast Focus to show my understanding of adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using models.

Fast Focus

For the assignment today, I had students complete a Fast Focus that required them to add or subtract fractions with unlike denominators. I assigned this on Google Classroom. The assignment included the video I made on Screencastify on the "Butterfly Method", for my students who needed the assignment read aloud, I also included a video in which I read aloud the questions, and finally, I included a link to the Google Form for them to submit their answers (I will use Flubaroo to quickly grade this assignment).

Think Through Math

Once finished with the Fast Focus, students got onto Think Through Math to attempt to pass more lessons. I have added the new incentive (I hope it's an incentive) that as a student spends at least 90 minutes a week on TTM, they will also receive a 100 in the grade book for extra credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment