About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators using Models: Problem Solving

Lesson Frame

  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will use models with addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
Activities

Today was a little different, I know that I will not be at school on Thursday (jury duty) and Friday is an early release, so I do not have time to get in a full set of rotations this week. I took this opportunity to reinforce the Butterfly Model with students who did not do well on the activity on Friday's Fast. I also wanted by Number Sense group(s) to have an opportunity to practice on a Number Sense test. So, while I am working with one group, and the second group is busy online, I had my remaining students work in groups to practice some problem solving. Today's activity came from:


I had decided to have students work in teams so that they could discuss their thinking.  Since I was not involved with my small group the entire time, I was able to walk through these groups to monitor their discussions.  I was pleased with the thinking I heard.  I'm thinking that tomorrow we will use these same questions in a Kahoot that will be a team competition.  

Assignment

I did have students work on a Fifth Grade Builder to keep reinforcing new concepts and as a form of spiral review.

No comments:

Post a Comment