About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators using Models: Problem Solving Kahoot

Blended Learning

I have taken on a whole new teaching style this year.  I have steeped away from being sage-on-the-stage and have moved to more of a facilitator role.

To do this, I implemented blending learning by having my focus be more student need driven.  Students work on Think Through Math at their own pace.  I monitor these lessons to see where I need to fill gaps or introduce concepts.  I typically take care of whole class learning on a Monday.  Tuesday-Thursday, I have implemented math stations which allows me to meet with very small groups to either enrich or intervene on current concepts.  Fridays tend to be an assessment and/or catch up.

I say this, because my blog is completely different than it ever has been before and I felt a need to explain why.  No longer does my blog showcase my teaching.  I hope it showcases my use of blended learning in my classroom.

Lesson Frame

  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will work with my group to solve problems involving adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using models.

Kahoot

No rotations today (I have a sub Thursday and a 1/2 day Friday), so I have tried to find some engaging ways to work with my students on adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using models.  Yesterday, my class worked in groups to begin solving some problems.  Today, we used their answers as we played Kahoot.  We played as table groups (different from yesterday), so groups had to decide as a team which answer was correct and not just assume the answer from yesterday was.  FUN!

Assignment

Fifth Grade Builder was their spiral review assignment and then most had about 15 minutes to work on Think Through Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment