About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Using Models to Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators: Day A

Lesson Frame

  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will use fraction strips to model addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.

Rotations: Day A

Group 1 & 4
This group worked with me to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators. While we did use the fraction strip table that we placed in our journals yesterday, I wanted to go ahead and begin working on how we find equivalent fractions. After all, the table will not be available when they take their STAAR test this spring.

Group 2
I had this group watch a video I made using the app Screencastify. In the video, I demonstrated how we used the fraction strips to add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators. After watching the video, I had them go to Khan Academy to work on the concept online.

Group 3
This group took a UIL Number Sense test. I gave them the instructions online through Google Classroom. I also gave them a 10 minute timer to use. I asked that they circle any that they had to use paper to work. I also asked that they place a "C" on any that they had to use one of the notecards for. Finally, they graded their own paper. They seemed to like this process.

Exit Ticket
I found today's exit ticket from Teachers Pay Teachers from one of my favorite sellers, Jennifer Findley. Her resource "Math Journal Prompts and Essential Questions," is outstanding!


Fifth Grade Builders #7
Once students completed the exit ticket, they could work on today's assignment.



No comments:

Post a Comment