About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Using Models to Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators: Day B

Lesson Frame:

  • We will represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
  • I will use fraction strips to model addition and subtraction of fractions with unequal denominators.
Group 1 & 4

I wanted this group to spend some time practicing using their fractions strips. So, I assigned them a video reminding them how to use fraction strips, then I asked them to go to Khan Academy to practice.

Group 2

We played an "I Have/Who Has" by adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. I used a resource I found on Teachers Pay Teachers called "Add and Subtract Fractions Scavenger Hunt." I used a Google Extension called "Doc Hub" to edit the PDF to add the words "I Have/Who Has" to the task cards.



I taught this group how to use the butterfly method to add and subtraction fractions with like denominators. However, we also found equivalent fractions when we determined that we could make one of our fractions equivalent in order to use the second fraction as it was.


Group 3

First, we spent a few moments discussing how they did on their UIL Number Sense test that they worked on yesterday. I pointed out a few questions that multiple students were missing and explained that they would be learning two new "shortcuts" tomorrow.

Next, we played the same "I Have/Who Has" as Group 2.

Fifth Grade Builder #8

Most students were able to complete their Fifth Grade Builder in class today! Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment