- We will add and subtract mixed numbers.
- I will add and subtract mixed numbers.
Today we added three pages to our journal:
- Changing Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
- Changing Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers
- Adding/Subtracting Mixed Numbers
When teaching changing mixed numbers to improper fractions, I use MAD (Multiply, Add, Denominator):
There isn't any fun kind of mnemonic device... just divide!
When working through adding and subtracting mixed numbers, I used templates 12 and 14 from:
In the process of adding and subtracting mixed numbers, we included the following steps:
- Creating equivalent fractions to create common denominators
- We converted mixed numbers to improper fractions.
- We may have needed to use the Butterfly method.
- We converted improper backed to mix.
- We looked at our mixed numbers to determine if we could simplify, which included using
- divisibility rules
- prime numbers and multiples
- common factors.
Think Through Math
With the remaining 15 minutes in each class, we spent time on Think Through Math.