About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers: Rotation Day C

Lesson Frame:
  • We will add and subtract mixed numbers.
  • I will add and subtract mixed numbers.

Group 1 & 4:  Teacher Time

Each of these groups began by working through last night's Exit Ticket with me.  I explained that the video the other students were watching would be available to them to view as they work on similar problems this evening.


After going over the problems, I gave the kids a problem to solve.  I asked each person to solve it one a white board while I watched.  I gave them hints and help as they progressed, but overall, was pleased with their abilities.

Group 2 & 3:  Khan Academy



Before these groups began working on Khan Academy, I asked that they watch a short Screencastify video in which I explain the process to solving the two Exit Ticket problems from last night.  I asked that they make any changes with a map pencil.  I explained that this was a learning exercise and would not be counted against them.

These groups then worked on solving problems involving addition and subtraction of mixed numbers.  I explained that they were free to watch the videos created by Khan Academy, however, they needed to understand that I am not teaching them in the same way that Khan will.  They are always surprised to find that there is more than one way to solve a problem.  I did attach a few Screencasity videos to their Classroom so that they could watch me solve the problems as an example.


Think Through Math

Every group does have 15 minutes on Think Through Math each day we do a rotation.

Assignment

We completed a Fifth Grade Builder today, and, as an exit ticket, I included an addition and subtraction problem that involved mixed numbers.  Students know to go to their Google Classroom to watch the video regarding last night's exit ticket to help them solve this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment