About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Estimation with Fractions Rotation Day B

Lesson Frame

  • We will solve problems involving the addition and subtraction of fractions.
  • I will use benchmark fractions to estimate mentally and assess the reasonableness of my answers.

Group 1 & 4

Groups 1 & 4 completed their task cards involving estimating fractions and estimating fraction sums and differences. 

Group 2

I had this group work with math choice boards.  I did limit their choices to the T and H columns.  Today they had to estimate sums and differences using the chosen fractions.  Then they had to write a word problem to fit a topic using the fractions.

Group 3

After reading a blog post by Robert Kaplinsky about integrating Depth of Knowledge into his classroom, I starting looking through Open Middle's fraction activities.  I chose Sum of Fractions  to challenge this group:


I also used the Open Middle worksheet for students to track their answers.  These tasks are called open middle because everyone begins with the same problem to solve and everyone should end with the same answer, however, how students work the problem is open to them.

Assignment

As usual, we finished off our day with a Fifth Grade Builder.



No comments:

Post a Comment