About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Dividing a Unit Fraction by a Whole Number and a Whole Number by a Unit Fraction: Note Taking

Lesson Frame


  • We will divide AND represent division of a unit fraction by a whole number, and the division of a whole number by a unit fraction.
  • I will divide AND use models to represent division of a unit fraction by a whole number and a whole number by a unit fraction.

Note Taking

We began by defining a unit fraction as being a fraction with "1" as the numerator. Next, I reminded my classes that division is just "putting into equal groups". We walked through an example of each type of division problem.



Now that we had the basics written down, we used the resource "Math Tri-Folds" to work problems that required us to divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.


I like this resource because it requires the students to write expressions and/or equations.  It also requires them to check their work which reinforces their use of multiplication of fractions and whole numbers.

Exit Ticket

For the exit ticket, I used two different resources.  First, I wanted them to write about their learning today, so I found a prompt from the resource, "5th Grade Math Journal Prompts."


Secondly, I wanted to see if they could find the error in someone's work and solve the problem correctly. For this I used the resource, "Error Analysis Math Tasks."



No comments:

Post a Comment