About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, November 7, 2016

Multiplying a Fraction and a Whole Number: Rotation Day A

Lesson Frame:
  • We will represent and solve problems involving multiplication of a whole number and a fraction.
  • I will represent and solve problems involving multiplication of a whole number and a fraction.

Last week, we spent days learning about the different ways you can represent the multiplication of a fraction and a whole number, as well as, learning how to solve these types of problems using an equation. This week we need to practice.

Group 1 & 4: Teacher Time


Beginning with these two groups, I asked the students to solve problems using both models and the standard algorithm.  There are a total of 16 problems in this resource.  I am having students solve the problems, record their answers, and keep up with their answer sheet until Thursday.  I have made this resource into a Kahoot.  By solving the problems first, this should allow all of my kids a fighting chance when playing the game.  I decided to do it this way after seeing the frustration of some of my students when the same handful of students "win" every time.

Group 3 & 4:  Khan Academy

These two groups focused on solving multiplication of a whole number and fraction online using lessons and practice session from Khan Academy.  


Think Through Math

Typically Mondays are used to teach a new concept, however, since today was a continuation from last week, we had about 20 minutes left to our math class.  I asked my students to get back on Think Through Math to give us a little more precious time working on completing lessons.  Let me just say, the best thing I have ever done is to allow my students to have a piece of candy after every lesson passed.  I use Jolly Ranches and I am on my 3rd HUGE bag this year!  If you are having any issues getting your students to actively pursue passing lessons on TTM.... buy some Jolly Ranchers and watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment