About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Snowflake Geometry: Cutting the Snowflake!



Today we cut out snowflakes!  I began by giving each student a hexagon.  We folded it into a trapezoid, then we folded it into a rhombus, and finally we folded it into an equilateral triangle.

Next, I had then draw a design on their triangle to cut out.  Then voila!  We had snowflakes!  I find it so funny that my fifth graders get really excited about their designs.  They really enjoyed the mystery!

Again, we spent a very short time on this part of the day as I wanted them to have time to complete their Fifth Grade Builder and get onto Think Through Math or Khan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment