About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Converting Mixed and Improper Fractions

Bell Ringer:  Set Game


Lesson Frame:

  • We will take notes on converting mixed and improper fractions.
  • I will explain how I will remember the steps to converting mixed to improper.
Lesson:


We began by reviewing converting mixed numbers into improper fractions.  Using this image, I told students that mixed numbers did not like becoming improper fractions, in fact it made the MAD!  We added this visual to our math journal.  I printed it in color.  I felt the colors helped to emphasize the steps. We used this to practice the steps to converting (multiply, add, denominator).  I like reinforcing the order of operations using this technique as well!


This second visual, I found on Teachers Pay Teachers and purchased.  Again, I printed this in color to help emphasize the steps to converting improper fractions to mixed numbers.  The bottom portion is especially helpful, most of my student do not have difficulty remembering to divide, but remembering which part of the division problem is which part of the mixed number.  We added this visual to our math journals and then spent some time in practice.

Close

Hoping that my students would have found the MAD acronym useful, I posed the question:

  • Explain how you will remember the steps to converting a mixed number into an improper fraction.

Assignment

We worked about half of today's Fifth Grade Builder #9 together. There were pieces of information that were review, but needed revisiting. The vocabulary was all new, so we completed that together to ensure that students had the correct definitions to the correct word.


No comments:

Post a Comment