About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Multiples and Factors: Rotation Day B

Screenshot 2017-08-30 at 7.43.13 PM.png

Bell Ringer:  Which One Doesn't Belong
Screenshot 2016-09-05 at 2.20.44 PM.png
I love this activity!  Students are asked to look at the numbers and decide which one doesn't belong and explain.  A few of the answers today:
  • 9, it's the only single digit number
  • 16, it's the only even number
  • 43, it's the only prime number
  • 9, it's the only one whose digits do not create a sum of 7
  • 43, the other numbers can be made my double factors (3x3, 4x4, 5x5)
  • 25, it's the only one whose one's digit is not a multiple of 3
Lesson Frame:
  • We will work on activities that focus on factors and multiples of numbers.
  • I will describe which I like better, finding factors or finding multiples of a number and support my choice.
Lesson:
  • Group 1
    • Khan Academy - Assignments on Factors
    • Think Through Math
  • Group 2
    • Think Through Math
    • Teacher Table - visited about UIL Number Sense and worked with Roman Numerals
  • Group 3
    • Teacher Table - visited about UIL Number Sense and worked with Roman Numerals
    • Think Through Math
  • Group 4
    • Think Through Math
    • Khan Academy - Assignments on Factors
The UIL Number Sense group will be a part of my rotations once a week. During that time, students will take Number Sense tests. Learning new shortcuts and strategies will have to happen on their own time. To help with this, I am using:


This book works in conjunction with a set of videos found at MathNinja.org.  I intend for my students to be self motivated self learners and this is an excellent way to begin!

Close:

Describe which you like better, finding factors or finding multiples of a number and support your choice.



Fifth Grade Builder #4

No comments:

Post a Comment