About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Prime, Composite, Prime Factorization: Rotation Day A

Bell Ringer:  Which One Doesn't Belong

Screenshot 2016-09-12 at 5.56.35 PM.png

Lesson Frame:
  • We will work on activities that reinforce our understanding prime numbers, composite numbers, and prime factorization.
  • I will predict whether the  number 9  is prime or composite using my understanding of divisibility rules.
Lesson

So, as with anything, there is a little trial and error to be had. After completing our TTM Placement Test and MStar Universal Screener, I now have a better idea of who needs intervention. I thought I would try something different this year. Instead of asking students to give up PE and/or recess time, I looked for ways to do intervention within my class time.

I decided that my Group 1 would be my "intervention" group, and that they could use the first 20 minutes of class and the first 15 minute rotation, twice a week, to meet this need. So, in each class group one went to Content Mastery to work on intervention activities with the teacher. Their second rotation would be to work with me in a small group on our current concept. I chose to create an "I Have, Who Has" wrap around game using prime numbers, composite numbers, and prime factorization.


Groups 2 and 3 both spent one rotation on Think Through Math and their other rotation playing with "Cootie Catchers" to practice prime, composite, and prime factorization.  This activity was the same as last week, just new concepts.


Group 4 spent one rotation on Think Through Math and the second rotation doing the "I Have, Who Has" with me.

Close

Predict whether the  number 9  is prime or composite using your understanding of divisibility rules.

Assignment

We finished off the day with a Fifth Grade Builder and Think Through Math.


No comments:

Post a Comment