About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Prime, Composite, Prime Factorization: Rotation Day B

Bell Ringer:  http://www.101qs.com/ 


Screenshot 2016-09-13 at 7.02.37 PM.png

Students really liked this one!  We even took a moment to Google the actual cost.... you can purchase this at WalMart for $49.95!

Lesson Frame:
  • We will work on activities that reinforce our understanding prime numbers, composite numbers, and prime factorization.
  • I will analyze a number using divisibility rules to determine if it is prime or composite.
Lesson:

I made another change today... not only do I have four regular groups, I also have a Number Sense group that I would like to work with, so I maneuvered my groups just a little today.

Groups 1 & 4 spent 30 minutes focused on Khan Academy today, working with prime numbers. This covered their two 15 minute rotations.

I combined groups 2 & 3 but removed students who are interested in working on Number Sense. This group worked with me first on the "I Have, Who Has" from yesterday and then worked on the prime and composite lessons on Khan.
My Number Sense group went to www.mathninja.org to watch the video on Divisibility Rules and then to begin working on problems involving divisibility. Their second rotation was with me playing the "I Have, Who Has".

This new setup worked well!

Close
Analyze the number 51 using divisibility rules to
determine if it is prime or composite.

I asked students to work with me on this one. They turned to the divisibility rules that are posted in their journal and we walked through each rule to determine divisibility. We only found 3 to be a factor of 51. We used this to determine that 51 is composite as it has more than 3 factors.

Assignment

To finish up, we did a Fifth Grade Builder and any extra time was spent on Khan.


No comments:

Post a Comment