About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Add and Subtract Fractions with Like Denominators: Rotation Day B

Bell Ringer:  101 Questions


What is the first math question that comes to mind?

Students answer this in Google Classroom as a question.  This way we can all see the many varied responses.

Lesson Frame:
  • We will work in rotations to practice adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators.
  • I will explain the steps to borrowing when subtracting fractions.
Lesson:


So, today was our Khan Academy focus day.  Group 1 & 4 spent each rotation on Khan Academy on the assignment, "Add and Subtract Fractions with Like Denominators with Regrouping."  I noticed that students were having difficulty with "borrowing" when they subtracted, so we will have to practice that a little more tomorrow.

The other groups rotated through Khan and a small group activity with me.  I created an activity that I titled "At Least but No More."  It was based on a Think Through Math activity in which students are to add fractions that add up to at least one number, but no more than another.  The groups I worked with today had very little difficulty.

Close:

Explain the steps to borrowing when subtracting fractions.

Assignment:

Fifth Grade Builder #16



No comments:

Post a Comment