About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Friday, October 6, 2017

Add and Subtract Fractions with Regrouping

Bell Ringer:  How Much Money Were Those Pennies?


Lesson Frame:
  • We will subtract mixed numbers that need regrouping.
  • I will “show what I know” by taking a quiz on adding and subtracting fractions with like denominators, including problems with regrouping.
Lesson:


I felt like I needed to revisit subtracting fractions with regrouping after some of the struggles yesterday.  I found this great visual, had my students add it to their math journal, and then we practiced some problems.  Most were much happier with subtracting today!

Close:

Once we finished with the notes, students took a quiz on adding and subtracting fractions (we have been working on this concept for two weeks).  They were absolutely allowed to use their journal!!!  This was done on Google Classroom using a Google Form (using the quiz feature).

Assignment:

Once the quiz was completed, students revisited Khan Academy:  Add and Subtract Mixed Numbers with Regrouping.  Again, they were allowed to use their journal!  Any extra time, students worked on Think Through Math.


No comments:

Post a Comment