About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Simplifying Fractions: Rotation Day A

Bell Ringer:  101 Questions

Screenshot 2016-10-11 at 7.52.12 PM.png

I was very pleased with the variety of questions posted this week.  I am sure that it helps that we have been working with fractions, as many of the posted questions included using fractions to determine the answer.

Lesson Frame:
  • We will simplify fractions in our rotation groups.
  • I will describe how to use the ladder model to simplify my fraction.
Lesson:


This week we have started having more absences due to illness.  I wish I had thought of this earlier, but, as they say,  necessity is the mother of invention!  It was necessary for all of my absent students to have access to the notes we have taken on simplifying fractions.  So, I used "Screencastify" to record the lesson as we took notes yesterday.  Today, any returning students listened to the video and took the notes for themselves allowing them to jump right in to the rotation activities today.  My students who are still absent can also access this from home and feel much more confident upon their return!

We moved into our rotation groups:

Simplifying Fractions Bump

Groups 1 and 4 alternated between playing BUMP:  Simplifying Fractions with me as a small group and working the next 6 problems from the mystery picture we began yesterday.  Again, I posted the problems in a Google Form to save on paper and used the quiz function to easily assess understanding.


Group 2 and 3 alternated between working on the mystery picture and playing a Simplifying Fractions:  I Have/Who Has that I created on a Google Doc.  I love the "equation" function that allows me to create fractions effortlessly.

Close:

Again, I included the closing question in the Google Form:

Describe the steps to using the "ladder" to find the simplest form of a fraction.

Assignment:

Fifth Grade Builder #18

No comments:

Post a Comment