About Me

My photo
Welcome to my math blog! The purpose of this blog is to help you stay informed about our learning and experiences that have taken place during our math class. I have also included links your child (and you) may want to use in order to supplement math learning in 5th grade.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators

Bell Ringer:  Would You Rather

halloween

To mathematically solve this problem today, I challenged my students to count the number of houses they trick-or-treated at during 1 hour last night.  Granted, I had some grumbles and a little panic by those who weren't getting out, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the number who took me up on it.

My first period class averaged 41 houses an hour, second period 33, and, sadly, 15 third period.  using this information we were able to determine which option we should choose in order to come out with a higher profit!

Lesson Frame:



Lesson:

We began by adding the new notes to our journal "Steps to Subtracting Mixed Fractions."



Using these steps (which are VERY similar to adding mixed fractions), we worked through the first six problems of the last mystery picture I will use.


I have really enjoyed using these along with Google Forms.  I am getting instant formative assessment about students' abilities.  I am also including the CLOSE for the day, which helps limit wasted paper!

Close:

Assignment:

The Fifth Grade Builder #26 really threw my kids for a loop!  Somehow they didn't realize that ANY division problem's answer can be written as a mixed number, they completely blanked on a few areas that were complete review.  I liked the fact that our journal is becoming a life-saver to them... I can have them refer to it for answers instead of depending on me!



No comments:

Post a Comment